06 March 2013


Just a couple of words and I'll go.  I know I promised you I would leave, I wouldn't bother you this late at night again, but I give up.  I'm not strong enough to forget memories that grip my legs and pull me to the floor.  Not smart enough to shake off the demons that remind me I'm still alone and you're somewhere out there by yourself, too.  Maybe you could use something like this again, maybe we could work things out and make each other laugh at another point in time.  I don't know what to do if I don't give this one last shot, another desperate attempt to encircle your wrist with my fingers and pull you back to me.  Where have we ended up?  Oceans away and I'm still turning over in bed to see if you're laying there when I wake up hungover at 2pm on a Sunday afternoon.  My feet are too heavy to walk the blocks that take me to your apartment, tonight I'm too tired to force another friendly cease fire.  I just want you to know, I just want to be able to tell you.  I want to bring my broken body to your doorstep and have you put me back together again.  I want to understand why you operate the way you do, to open you up and crawl inside, see what makes you tick, what makes you sigh.  As far as my arm can stretch, as loud as my voice can get, I'm still miles away from reaching you the way I once did.

No comments: