15 February 2011

Watching The Ships Roll In

There is something alive when you arch your back and your spine curves like mine.  Twisted tired melody, how I've grown to love you.  Piecing together the fragmented body of the life we once knew, hollowing out sockets only to see what's been right in front of us all this time.  Curving paths through the trees bowing to the soil, with a spine like mine, your footsteps echo mine.  How could we be so naive?  Rain comes and rain goes, the lightest on your windows and the heaviest when it's gone, because inside it's always dry.  Can't satiate, unable to compete with the bitter pattern of losing and slowly snapping each vertebrae back into place.  Line up, take a seat, switch your number with mine... I'll wait.  The winds come at night and my ability to cope subsides as I'm reduced to a simple pawn in the game of decision and mistake and forgive.  Quiet as you lay in the room next to mine, slow is my breath as I make an attempt to silence a knocking heart and consider the consequences.  Wide eyes as soon as I realize, you're here, and I'm alive.

No comments: